Quote of the week

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon, M.D.

7.17.2007

playing tourista






I was a hard core tourist today. It took me from 9 am to 5 pm to make it 50 miles because I stopped at every pull out and took in every tourist attraction - it was great! The weather today was dreary so I didn't feel rushed to get out on the bike so I started the day tide pooling at Seal Rock. I saw 2 leopard seals and a bunch of starfish and other thigns I couldn't identify. Then to the Alsea Bay Interpretive Center to pick up an Oregon road map and come to find out they had a display on the history of transportaton in OR! So I spent some time reading about that and was happy to discover that the beautiful concrete bridges along hwy 101 were designed by Conde McCullough. I wanted to find out who had designed these after noticing how striking the Yaquina Bay Bridge was (pic posted yesterday). Now I know, as do you. The one posted today is of at Heceda Head. I spoke with the nice woman at the interp. center for a bit and she made several very good suggestions about places to stop. I proceeded to take her advice and went for a hike at Cape Perpetua. She said it offered the best views of the coast so I had to find out. I must say, the view was incredible and vast, but maybe not "the best" that I have seen. Lots of Pacific Ocean and that's about it...but there was a 500 year oud Sitka Spruce that was quite impressive. What was even more impressive was the couple that I met up there - they were in their late 70's (and hiking!) who were also on an 11 week adventure. They gave me a few places to check out in CA - like Fern Canyon in the Red Woods and the scenic bypass that is about 6' wide. Looking forward to that, but lots of other adventures to be had before I hit the CA line. Anyway, then I went to the Heceta Head Lighthouse and was going to tour that, but it was a 30 min. wait and I didn't think it could be that cool, esp. since I went up the tallest lighthouse in WA and this is not the tallest lighthouse in OR, just the most photographed one, and I could do that from the outside. So I proceeded to the Sea Lion Caves. It was kind of a trip. There used to be a bunch of stairs that went down a wooden ladder or sorts - now that would have been cool! Now it's just an elevator and a bunch of stink. It felt too zoo like so I'll try to post the video I made to save anyone else the $9. that they charge. I ended up at the Sand Dunes. I wish I had a motorized recreation vehicle because it would be fun to rally around and check things out. oh well - I walked around instead, the "environmentally responsible" thing to do (i.e., I don't own a motorized rec vehicle so I don't have a choice thing to do).

No comments: