Quote of the week

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon, M.D.

7.03.2007

the Northern Cascades






The northern Cascades are amazing! I went on a hike to change things up a bit and was amuzed by how serious people take walking. One man comment about "what I was wearing" - the reality of it is that my pink surf shorts are not that much different than his beige hiking shorts. Then I got commentary from a different group how I looked like I was on a Sunday stroll. I had to say something about that - after all if was Sunday and I was out for a stroll. She said the 4 mile climb up the side of the moutain was a bit more than a stroll. I was wearing my sneakers and had left the moutain bike at camp so for a pleasant change, I wasn't lugging it up the moutain too so it did seem like a stroll. I guess it's just a matter of perspective... The views from the top of Driveway Butte were amazing, as was the diversity along the trail. The burn area was full of lupine and the contrast between the black and blue was striking. The gorillapod that my sister got me for Christmas is fun to play with. I was able to take a picture of myself at the top - evidence that I made it, even though I didn't wear the proper hiking attire.
Yet more water and another dam. The Diablo Dam and lake were impressive. The reservoir is turquoise in color due to glacial sediment called rock flour that is suspended in the water and reflects light.

No comments: