Quote of the week

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon, M.D.

8.18.2007




Today has been a very diverse day in TN. I started out in Memphis and I pretty much think that town in a dump. What wasn't a getto was a strip mall, i.e. a getto in the making.
So I headed out there and decided to take the scenic route. I went on out 57 and it was pretty, but not only in the town of Pocahontas, but again in the town of Ramer a cop actually flipped a u-ee and tailgated me to the edge of town. I saw the cop in Ramer actually radio in while he was tailing me. Do I look like a criminal?!? That J-Z song came into my head - "son do you know what I'm stoppin ya for...you were doin 55 in a 54..." Then there was this trucker who was driving like the biggest a-hole ever. I'm suprised he didn't have a confederate flag on his grill. I was happy to see the turn off for Natchez Trace Parkway. I saw fellow cyclists today! I was so excited and so sorry for them at the same time. It was 102 when I saw them and they looked miserable. I decided that I want to ride this entire road on my bike.
Then I went to the Belle Meade Plantation. It was a very interesting and informative tour. I was glad we got to see more of the house than we did of Graceland. By the way - if you ever go to Graceland don't expect to see much of it. The tour doesn't include the upstairs so you get to see the living room, dining room, kitchen, jungle room, pool room and then the basement. The jungle room had green shag carpet on the ceiling! It helped with the acoustincs...yeah likely excuse. Then why was it on the walls in the stairway to the basement...well, the stairway that wasn't ALL mirrored that is. Anyway, I digress. The Plantation was very educational and got into another era of American history - the mid 1800's through the turn of the century. The Belle Meade Plantation is known for it's famous thoroughbred horses and many of the recent Kentucky Derby winners lineage can be traced back to these horses. I didn't know that until today.
Now I am at Cedars of Lebanon State Park and I must say it is very enjoyable. It is a comfortable temp. and I didn't have to retreat to the tent to try to avoid the bugs the second the sun went down. In fact, I am sitting here at the picnic table with my head lamp on and everything and no problem. What a relief. Yesterday I got stung by anotehr bee - right on top of my foot! it hurt. but it goes along with what look to be chigger bites all over both my feet. Flip flops aren't the best in this part of the county.
oh my god - there is this couple camped down the way that have been yelling at each other for about an hour now. shut up already! I am so glad I don't have to deal with that shit any more.

No comments: