Quote of the week

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon, M.D.

6.20.2007

Steamboat (and surrounding area)

I'd have to say that Steamboat and the area surrounding it is one of my favorite places in CO. I am so glad that I decided to kick off my journey here. The rest of the country has a lot to live up to! I rode the Eddy out to Oak Creek today. It was a beautiful ride and I was pleasantly suprised by how few cars there were. Maybe because it was Tuesday morning??? I am going to get used to this mid week, trafficless riding and really be unhappy with the weekend warrior life style. I need to find a way to make this a life style... It was was a beautiful ride. When I got to Oak Creek I had a coffee and a kolach and sat outide of the local coffee shop. Some fellow travelers sat with me - nice folks from Denver who were on a BMW motorcycle adventure. Oak Creek was a different place. It looked a wild west scene out of a movie. All the roads were dirt too and they had just sprayed something all over them, which I thought was water but wasn't because whatever it was didn't dry. The "mud" we'll call it, was dripping off of my bike this am. NASTY!

Miss Erin and I went for a mountain bike ride yesterday afternoon on the Spring Creek Trail. It was a beautiful night and a nice refreshingly cool break from the heat in Steamboat. I am excited that Miss Erin is turning into a mountain biker too. She bought herself one of the new Juliana's and I can see they have changed the rear triangle quite a bit. Hopefully it resolved the lateral flex issue that my version has. We had a nice ride until some jack ass ran right into me. It kind of threw me off a bit, but luckily my body and my bike escaped w/o injury. I don't think the guy who came flying down the trail and then off the trail as we were going up was as fortunate. At least he was able to ride away after laying on the ground moaning in pain for several minutes.
Today I took the Eddy out to Columbine, which is above Steamboat Lake. It was an incredible ride! I thought I was really tired because I just couldn't seem to find the right gear and was hoping that I just thought the road was flat, when I was really going uphill. Come to find out on the way back that in fact I was climbing and it wasn't even close to being flat. I was relieved because by the time I got back I really was tired. I was hoping for a coffee stop in Columbine but no such luck. I had to stick with the Margaritta flavored blocks and a luna bar. The views were spectacular and it was nice to have minimal traffic.

The entire town of Columbine can be rented out. I thought that was interesting, and rather random. It felt more like a camp ground with cabins than a town and the whole renting it out part only reinforced that feeling. The paved road ends here though so I turned around and headed back to Steamboat.















1 comment:

b fisk said...

that looks like some awesome riding!