Quote of the week

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon, M.D.

6.27.2007

Lewis and Clark Trail






Today I went on an adventure along the Lewis and Clark Trail. I took the scenic byway / tour. I saw the first place that Lewis and Clark camped in ID, then I saw the Red Stone Stage. It wasn't uncommon for stage coaches to over turn on the road I was on. Then I went to the top of Lehmi Pass (named after a king in the Book of Mormon), and I stood next to the headwaters of the Missouri River. I wanted to take the "original trail" back down, but couldn't find it so I ended up taking the entire scenic byway. On the way back down I decided to take the "original trail" back to the top because it was supposed to take me back to the canyon that I started in. Well, I must have taken the wrong path because I ended up back at the top of the switch backs in the same canyon that I came down. I was pooped, out of water and it was in the 90's. I rode about 50 miles on the moutain bike today. After riding a tiny portion of the trail - I can't believe how hard it must have been to travel back in the day. I was bush wacking for a good portion of the "original trail", but at least I had cow paths to follow. I'm scared of cows so I was horrified when I came over the second big ridge to find an entire herd of cows. I kept an eye out for the bull, but luckily didn't have to deal with that one. Anyway, all I had was my bike and I was struggling. It would suck to walk and carry an entire expedition worth of stuff.

No comments: